Young carers

Support during coronavirus

We are working with local charities and other partners to provide a community response for those who do not have support and need advice or practical help.

The Ark are coordinating this. This is not an alternative to the NHS or social services.

For COVID-19 health advice visit 111 online or call 111.

The NHS East Berkshire Clinical Commissioning Group has produced the following guides with helpful advice and local service information:

See our Advice and support for parents and families page for more support including tips for remote learning.

A young carer is someone under 18 who helps look after someone in their family, or a friend, who is ill, disabled or misuses drugs or alcohol.

Extra responsibilities may include:

  • practical tasks, such as cooking, housework and shopping
  • physical care, such as helping someone out of bed
  • emotional support, such as talking to someone who is distressed
  • personal care, such as helping someone dress
  • managing the family budget and collecting prescriptions
  • helping to give medicine
  • helping someone communicate
  • looking after brothers and sisters

As a young carer you are entitled to a free young carers assessment. This is regardless of who is being cared for, what type of care is provided or how often the care is provided.

We also provide support for young adult carers up to the age of 25 by working with partner organisations to support transition to adult services.

Young carers assessment

To get an assessment you will need to meet the definition of a young carer and have your parents' consent. You should also get an assessment if you are doing any age inappropriate care, or your caring responsibilities affect your:

  • physical health
  • education
  • emotional wellbeing
  • relationships with family and friends

A young carer's assessment is a chance for you to talk about your needs as a young carer and the ways in which you could receive support.

Most assessments in Bracknell Forest are completed by a professional you already know such as your Family Support Advisor in school, your social worker or an early help professional.

How to get an assessment

You can contact our young carers service directly by:

If you are a professional already working with the family or young carer and would like to register them please fill in the Young Carers assessment form below with the family and Young Carer and email to

Attachment Size
146 KB