This week marks Mental Health Awareness Week (10 to 16 May). We are encouraging you to embrace this year’s theme of nature by going out and taking part in our ‘get back to nature’ photo competition.
During the national lockdowns, millions turned to exercising outdoors to help cope with restrictions and protect their mental and physical wellbeing. Even small contacts with nature can reduce feelings of isolation and stress, and in turn help improve your physical health too.
The challenge this week is simple, the council want you to adopt the theme of ‘get back to nature’ and take a photo of your favourite nature related activity.
Please include a couple of sentences with your photo, explaining why it is your favourite thing to do. Whether it is maintaining your allotment, or taking your dog on its favourite walk, get creative and send in your pictures to: firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to win a family ticket to Go Ape! at The Look Out, Bracknell.
The winner will be picked by The Mayor of the Borough of Bracknell Forest, Cllr Mrs Ash Merry.
Cllr Dale Birch, Chairman of the Bracknell Forest Health and Wellbeing Board and Executive Member for Health, said:
“After what has been an extremely difficult year, for so many reasons, checking on our mental health is more important than ever.
“Mental Health Awareness Week is about just that, raising awareness. We shouldn’t be afraid to talk about our mental health. By breaking down the barriers and normalising the conversation we can give those who need help the confidence to ask for it, with no judgement.
“As well as getting out in nature this week, I’d ask that you check on the mental health of those around you, as well as your own. Please seek support if you need it, you are not alone and there’s always someone to help.”
If you are struggling with your own mental health issues, or are worried about someone close to you, visit our public health portal for advice.
Terms and conditions
- This competition is open to all residents of the borough of Bracknell Forest.
- Photographic entries must be taken in Bracknell Forest borough and should represent an activity in nature that helps you maintain good mental health.
- You can submit one photo as part of your entry and your photo should be an original, taken by you.
- Photos must be submitted by email to: email@example.com with your name, email address, contact number and a brief description of how the activity helps you maintain good mental health.
- Personal details will only be used for the purpose of administering the competition and will not be published or provided to anyone outside of the competition admin without your permission.
- The closing date for entries is Friday 21 May 2021. Any entries received after this date will not be considered.
- The organisers accept no responsibility for entries lost, damaged, or delayed when sent by email. Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted and there is no obligation to feedback on any photographic entry.
- The Mayor of the borough of Bracknell Forest, Cllr Mrs Ash Merry will select the winning entry. The winning entry, along with the name of the winner, will be shared on the council’s social media channels, the Bracknell Forest Council website and in the weekly e-newsletter sent out by Bracknell Forest Council, ‘Town & County Extra’.
- By entering your photo into this competition, you are giving Bracknell Forest Council permission to use your photo in the above publications, whether you are successful in winning or not.
- The winner of the competition will receive a free family ticket to Go Ape! at The Look Out in Bracknell. The voucher can be used to book one family session and will be valid for approximately one year.
- By entering you are hereby agreeing to these rules.